By Darin Carter, Coinbase Giving Program Supervisor
This fall, Coinbase Giving launched the Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Problem as a step to boost consciousness about blockchain know-how and make it extra inclusive and accessible for everybody. The aim of this problem was to supply revolutionary concepts for leverage the distinctive attributes of blockchain know-how to unravel a few of our world’s most distinguished issues. We noticed participation from over 300 groups and heard some unimaginable concepts.
The objective of this problem was to not ask these rivals to provide you with a totally baked answer, however to incentivize the builders on the intersection of Web3 and social impression to check out many options, share outcomes/progress, and construct a greater world collectively as a neighborhood, with their findings.
The way it labored
- In October 2021, Coinbase Giving and its associate Base 11 launched the Innovation problem, in partnership with crowdsourcing web site HeroX.com, on the Subsequent Frontier Convention to spotlight how blockchain know-how can drive social impression.
- The Problem was made accessible to college students and early-career adults from throughout the nation on Base 11’s free membership platform Base 11 Digital.
- In early January of 2022, our material specialists judged the primary spherical of entries internally in response to our innovation problem scoring framework.
- Twelve finalists had been invited to pitch their thought to our management workforce for consideration.
- After a ultimate spherical of judging, Coinbase Giving and Base11 awarded $10,000 USD in prizes to winners which might be obtained in USD, BTC, or ETH.
Profitable initiatives proposed how blockchain know-how may be leveraged throughout the subjects of renewable vitality micro-grids, the debt disaster, international useful resource assist, smart-contract life insurance coverage, voting fraud, and far more. The total listing of winners, with extra particulars on the initiatives and communities they serve, may be discovered right here.
What we discovered
- Innovation can come from anyplace: Our individuals represented international locations everywhere in the world together with New Zealand, Germany, the Philippines, Argentina, Colombia, and lots of extra international locations across the globe. We’re proud to say that the very best concepts got here from outdoors of the crypto business. Our individuals had been academics, medical doctors, dentists, psychologists, provide chain employees, neighborhood leaders, and extra trying to share their superb concepts for the way blockchain could make a distinction.
- Asking the fitting query may be highly effective: By asking folks from numerous backgrounds how blockchain could make an impression, particularly in areas like environmental sustainability, monetary inclusion, healthcare and training, the people who find themselves closest to the issues price fixing are in a position to floor concepts on how blockchain may be utilized as an answer.
- Blockchain actually has the potential to vary the world: As you’ll be able to see from our successful entries talked about above, there are numerous ways in which blockchain can have a optimistic impression on this planet.
The Coinbase Giving and Base 11 groups wish to thank all the individuals on this 12 months’s Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Problem for his or her concepts, onerous work, and time. We’re wanting ahead to the following Innovation Problem and encourage everybody to begin brainstorming concepts to pitch to the workforce.